Hey everyone! It’s been a while, but I’ve been working and sweating my tail off at my dad’s house and trying to spruce up ours at the same time. And work’s been pretty busy, and then there’s preschool stuff, and swim lesson sign-ups, and more shows for Mike’s band, and……
But out of all the craziness that’s been going on in my life, I can finally say that dad’s house will finally…FINALLY…be on the market this week!! This is only the beginning of the big process of selling a house, buying a house, and selling another house (ours).
But there’s still our long weekend trip to Long Island. I’m super-excited!!! I hope we have great weather, and we’re going to Luna Park!!!!! My bucket list is going to have several check-offs that weekend!! It’s going to be much-deserved for the both of us; after all that we both been through the past year, this trip is going to be worth the wait!
And since I’ll be wearing a bathing suit on vacay and it’s getting hot outside, it’s time we take a breather from all the baking and the Easter candy fallout and make veggie gyros!
Mike and I enjoy going to the local Mediterranean cafe on lunch dates and eat gyros (Greek pronunciation: [ˈʝiros], or “heros”). I’m all about wraps of any kind really! They’re a quick lunch or a small dinner that you can easily prepare yourself. It beats having the same old bologna and cheese on plain bread.
What I did here is kind of a copycat version of Taziki’s grilled veggie gyro, but the veggies were sautéed. It still has the yellow squash, tomatoes and zucchini in it, but I added a little more color to it (the orange bell pepper instead of a red one), and I whipped up a simple dressing that is also great for salads. I guess you can pretty much say it’s a homemade pesto aioli dressing. For assembly, I used the Flatout Foldit wraps and whole wheat flour tortillas. Either one is good, but I’m no super-expert at wrapping food, so don’t judge..LOL! You can also add some grilled chicken strips in there too, or throw in a different kind of cheese.
You can’t go wrong with these gyros, and eating one won’t make you feel guilty if you need to fit into a bathing suit soon!
Copycat of Taziki’s Grilled Veggie Gyro
1 small zucchini, slice into thin long slices and cut in half
1 small yellow squash, chopped into small slices
2 roma tomatoes, chopped; remove centers
1 orange bell pepper, chopped into small slices
1 small red onion, cut into small, thin slices
2 cloves garlic, minced
Feta cheese, for garnish
1 package of flour tortillas
For the Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 red wine vinegar
1/2 – 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
• Slice up all your vegetables and place in a bowl; set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients; set aside.
• Drizzle a medium skillet with olive oil, enough to cover the bottom of the skillet. Add the onion and cook for a couple minutes, then add the garlic; cook for a minute.
• Add the sliced vegetables into the skillet and let cook until they get soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add a little more olive oil, if needed, to prevent the veggies from sticking to the skillet.
• Once vegetables are done, remove from heat and pour into the dressing and toss. Let cool for a moment.
• To assemble, place a small amount of vegetables in the center of each wrap and fold both sides, meeting in the center. Wrap one side of gyro with wax paper or foil to handle. To take with you, simply wrap the entire gyro with foil. Makes about 4 or 5 gyros. Don’t forget the napkins! 🙂